Monday, June 9, 2014

Last of the Newport Company






























I am listening to Andrew chase the kiddos about the house.  Crashing around corners, dodging furniture and laundry baskets.  There's a great deal of screeching and running wildly.  Sounds like a mini-herd of frantic pachyderms.  No matter the disasters that lay in their wake, it's energy burned.  God bless it.  And a few moments of peace for me!

Andrew's parents have been here this past week.  The last of our Newport company.  I'm still finding it thrilling to show this place off.  We've had fried oyster rolls down on the beach.  Got over our fear of the surf!  And had strawberry birthday cupcakes and strawberry birthday ice cream.  Pink.  Lots of pink. 

What would it be like to live on an island?  What would it be like to have access to the ocean?  Every day, if I wanted it?  What would it be like to live in a setting where the Navy was the primary employer?  And people really dug it?  What would it be like to smell the sea air and learn how to sail?  I have no idea what the future holds, but, golly, it would be amazing to be here if we could!


1 comment:

Emily said...

Love your gorgeous photos, Jules!! xoxo I want to plan a time to meet...when are you back from Newport?? This summer is nuts with wedding stuff but I just want you to know that I think of you often and am determined we will meet some day :)