Monday, December 20, 2010

Solo Hike







I went for a solo hike on Saturday--left the boys to hang out, play with monkeys and lions--you know, the usual. There are a number of trails on the Wissahickon that I haven't had the opportunity to explore, so I picked a route and set off! Sometimes I forget how vital the woods are to me. How rejuvenated I feel when I'm next to a bubbling creek. Or how comforted I am by the resin-like smell of pine needles drying in the sun. I don't ever talk about God here--mostly due to the fact that I wouldn't consider myself a religious person. But, when I'm standing beneath a huge beech tree, dwarfed by it height and girth, or feel the cool, crisp quiet of an empty wooded trail, I can't help but feel God. Whatever it is, however it moves and breaths--I feel it most keenly in the woods. By the water. In the quiet.

8 comments:

Emily said...

Love solo moments in the woods! Glad you got this time for yourself - what a lovely description!

Joyce said...

A great walk to feel connected and peace. Enjoy my friend! xo

Rachel Follett said...

I miss trekking through the woods. Love the colors in these photos!

cindy said...

it looks lovely, but please be careful by yourself!

Vintage Simple said...

Time for quiet reflection in the stillness of nature... yes. I can feel whatever God is in those moments, too. Nature is certainly awe-inspiring.

Wishing you and your boys the very best for 2011, Julia.

much love,
-maria

Jessica said...

beautiful...I can just imagine the serenity. I absolutely love winter hikes--the silence is amazing

russian women said...

Excellent photos. Thank you, it was very interestingly.

y8 said...

I miss trekking through the woods. Love the colors in these photos!