Wednesday, October 16, 2013

To Do List




I'm slowly learning how to manage my To Do list these days.  The first step is to write it on a small piece of paper.  That way I fill it up with five or six tasks and feel a surge of delicious accomplishment with every one I cross off.  Plus, over-extending myself helps no one, let's be real.  The second step involves writing in a freebee--a long walk, make dinner, do laundry.  All three need to happen on a semi-daily basis.  So, those are three I can cross off no matter how chaotic the day gets--and, yes, pulling a pizza out of the freezer and baking it counts as "making dinner".  The third step is future-oriented.  I write one or two things on my list that I know I won't get to, but, I feel strangely on top of, if I write them down.  My thoughts ramble in the following way: Oh, that's right, I need to re-open my shop at some point--what needs to happen before then, or Christmas cards before the new year would be a good thing, right? 

So, on my list the other day was "bake pumpkin bread."  I've been trying to tweak the recipe for a few weeks.  It's part Maine Pumpkin Bread (off the internet) and my mother's recipe.  It's moist, dense, and very spicy--just how I like it!

Pumpkin Bread

3 3/4 C flour
2 t baking soda
1 1/2 t salt
1 T cinnamon
1 T nutmeg
1 t ginger
1 t cloves
1/4 t pepper
3 C sugar
1 1/2 C canola oil
4 eggs
29oz can pumpkin puree

Stir dry ingredients together and set aside.  Mix oil, sugar and eggs together.  Add pumpkin.  Slowly add dry ingredients and mix till smooth.  Pour batter into greased muffin tins or loaf pans.  Bake at 350 till firm.  The bread is best the day after baking.

1 comment:

Emily said...

I really love this! I have been into to-do lists lately and it feels so good to check things off and revel in that accomplishment! Your version also emphasizes more nurturing, soul-inspiring to-dos, which I love!!