Thursday, November 18, 2010

Oatmeal



Andrew came home two nights ago with a delicious bundle of autumnal beauties. Aren't they marvelous? I searched high and low for a vase that would hold them all when I spotted this empy canister of Irish Oatmeal sitting on my desk. I think I was going to use the canister for pens and pencils and the odd pair of scissors I can never find. I think it's found a better use. Right now, at least.

By the way--if you ever stumble upon your own canister of Irish Steel Cut Oats here is a recipe (tweaked from Dad's original) you will love:

1 Cup steel cut oats
2 Cups water
2 Cups apple cider
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1 Tsp nutmeg
1 Tsp cloves
1/2 Tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 Cup dried cherries (or any dried fruit)

Bring water and cider to a boil in saucepan. In a separate bowl stir together oats, cherries and spices. Add oat mixture to boiling liquid and stir. Turn to low/simmer once the mixture starts to thicken (approximately 3-4 minutes). Stir occasionally for 30 minutes.

It's the most scrumptious oatmeal. Ever. And it makes your home smell divine. This will keep up to a week in a container in the fridge.

8 comments:

TERI REES WANG said...

Cheers!..to using wanting what you've got....and sharing what we might have missed.

Emily said...

Oh wow, that sounds divine! And what a perfect place for such darling flowers!

Cindy said...

andrew is so good! they look wonderful in the can and i love the recipe. the addition of the apple cider and spices, yum!

Krissy | Paper Schmaper said...

what a sweet man you have! that oatmeal sounds amazing- I will have to make it and share with my oh-so-irish nana :)

AnnaVallance said...

Can't wait to try your recipe. And those flowers - so beautiful.

Anna @ IHOD said...

Julia, this is possibly the best oatmeal recipe ever. Cannot wait to try it. I be my little boy will love it!
Have a great weekend!
Anna

blue moss said...

They are lovely..and totally perfect in the oatmeal container. I've been playing catch-up on your fabulous blog. Loving reading about your adventures with your adorable little guy...
:) Michelle

bronwyn said...

Gorgeous - the flowers and the canister. And that oatmeal sounds delicious.