Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Self Portrait: Design Lovely



Good morning! I'm so pleased to announce that this weeks Self Portrait is from Miss Rachel over at Design Lovely and Dwellings and Decor. Her taste, her sense of style and the treasures she finds on a weekly basis are all out-of-this-world! Go see, I know you will love her!

I am a true believer in packing lightly because you never know where life is going to take you so the items that mean the most to me are small ones. I haven't been able to acquire many large things because I have moved back and forth to Maui for a large portion of my life and shipping things is not cheap. So here are some things that have made it through:

1. This is a handkerchief my late grandmother gave to me and there is an R which is actually originally for Roberts which I think was a last name of someone in the family but she wanted me to have it because I was the only one with a name that started with an R. I will be making a new memory with this item because I am planning on using it around the bottom portion of my bouquet for my wedding on April 18th.

2. These are pieces to the last puzzle I did with my grandfather. It was by far our favorite thing to do and I think it really shapes who I am today.

3. I have had this rock since I was little and I still to this day don't understand how there is a picture on it. There seems to be a deer running in a forest and I always thought the rock took a picture like a camera. Wouldn't that be cool?

4. This Swedish wooden horse was given to me from a woman who I met while working in a Fabric store in San Carlos, CA. I was getting ready to go to college for Interior Design and she taught me a ton about fabric so this horse somewhat symbolizes the beginning of my career.

5. This is the top of the champagne bottle that Ryan opened the day he proposed to me. He was trying to find a way that I would be surprised so he was on one knee on the side of my bed and woke me up gently and popped the question and the champagne bottle! The rest of the day was amazing.

6. Lastly this is a little flute that I got from the Renaissance Fair in California when I was young and I have always loved the design and it reminds me of the time that I played a larger real flute. I was never very good but I kept trying and trying and it reminds me that I need to continue to persevere and keep going.

15 comments:

AMM blog said...

I love this little self portrait!

Gemma Mortlock said...

This is such a nice idea, really touching and personal. I especially like the stone with the picture in it. Have a great day
Gemma
x

jae said...

it is so interesting to see what someone holds on to throughout the years.....and then you read the descriptions and it means so much more.....still loving the self portrait series.

PS~Erin said...

I love your self-portrait posts and this one is no exception. Special little glimpse into Rachel's world.

Bonbon Oiseau said...

very romantic all her little keepsakes--so sweet as well (love that she's kept a rock since she was little!)--happy wedding miss rachel! and happy tuesday miss jewels!

Rachel Follett said...

Thank you so much Julia for your kind words and doing these self portraits. I am honored to be part of it!

tanya said...

I love that red horse and what it symbolizes...what a fabulous idea!

paula said...

what beautiful and meaningful picks.

spilling beauty said...

what a beautiful post!
i'm so happy i stumbled upon your blog today.
thanks for making me smile.
xo
jennifer

Tinys and Tea said...

This is so interesting! A whole new perspective! It's beautiful

Unknown said...

I love this series from you. it's so great to see what people talk about.

littlebyrd said...

This is so sweet and thoughtful. Love self portraits!

Unknown said...

It is so innovative, creative and really good for our mindset. Keep it up and wish you every success and let us, at http://liftyouup.blogspot.com know every area we can assist or collaborate with you,

inkWELL Press said...

What a fabulous self portrait - love Rachel's blog, it's so nice to see her portrait here!

Chinese oil painting said...

oyal Garden Hotel Peninsula, the South China Sea is a city of five-star hotels, European-style decoration.