Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Self Portrait: Sea & Jae


Good morning! The Self Portrait project has another fantastic feature from Sea & Jae. Her sweet and charming blog inspires me on a daily basis. And her darling shop is filled with such cuteness, so hard to resist!

Sea & Jae:

1. This sterling silver compote was my Great Grandmother’s. My Great Aunt gave it to me when I got married.

2. This is a very small stack of the many art books I have that belonged to my Grandmother.

3. The stone urn is one of a pair. They came out of the backyard of my childhood home in Iowa. There was also a matching birdbath, but I left that there since these were heavy enough.

4. The rocks sit on my desk and are ones we have picked up during our walks on the beach. Yes, I found the heart one on the beach, too.

5. My favorite color is turquoise and robin’s egg blue. I also happen to love glass.

6. I made this in elementary art class. I remember making like it was yesterday. We were learning about the coil technique. I see my pull to this color started early.

7. I gave this to my husband as an anniversary gift. We both love the pieces by this artistic company, Sticks, so I surprised him with it. It is a lazy susan and is definitely the most whimsical piece we have.

8. My Grandmother was an artist and I am very lucky to have several of her original paintings.

9. I carried this boat home from Bangkok. I had been on an amazing vacation to Singapore, Hong Kong, and Thailand.

10. I am a huge lover of shells. This one means a lot to me because I got it while on a weekend trip in the Bahamas with my Uncle who is no longer with us. I picked it off the ocean floor while snorkeling.

If you're interested in participating in the Self Portrait project or just want more details, don't hesitate to email me at julia {dot} cumings {at} yahoo {dot} com! I would love to hear from you!

22 comments:

Tina { Luphia Loves... } said...

another lovely interview! that vase is so pretty!

Miss | A said...

great fun again! maybe I will try the self portrait....what do I need to do? can you email me! looks fun and like a fun challenge!

Cindy said...

such a lovely self-portrait with so many treasures from sea & jae's grandmother.

jae said...

Putting these items together was a very creative exercise and one I would highly recommend for anyone who hasn't done it yet. It was interesting to look at the objects that shape who I am instead of the people.

Thanks for doing this, Jewels.....a picture is worth a thousand words!

Lizzy said...

Fun fun fun! Beautiful pictures as well.

Cupcakes and Cashmere said...

i love the idea of collecting rocks on walks on the beach. it's such a sweet little reminder.

::::Lula Boutique:::: said...

This is just lovely! I really just adore these self portraits and this concept. I would love to do one myself but I'm seriously intimidated to even begin! Ha...maybe one of these days. I'll let you know when I'm ready. ;)

Rachel said...

I love how ocean-y this one feels! It's lovely.

paula said...

how lovely is her self portrait. I especially love the silver dish.

Anonymous said...

Another very beautiful self portrait! I love seeing how special different items are to our blog friends! Keep up the lovely work!!

PS~Erin said...

How very cool. This has got me being introspective today, looking around thinking about what say *me*. Hers came together so beautifully.

Rachel Follett said...

I really love that the photos at first don't really have a lot of meaning and then you find out what it means to them and they transform into something else for you. Great post!

Anonymous said...

i love this idea & would love to do it.

lotta said...

wow, so lovely. I am glad to have discovered another creative talent!

Joyce said...

A great "self portrait"! I agree Jae does have some fun things, I have purchased her candle sparklers and wishbones. Enjoy...

hmstrjam said...

love the sea theme!

pve design said...

oh another self portrait of one of my faves!
love her shop - I "see" quite a long list of gifts and wishes from sea & jae!

SimplyGrove said...

What great images!!!

please sir said...

Oh I love Jae - and what a great self portrait to learn more about her!

picciolo said...

wonderful self portrait, I love all the tories behind everything
: )

simply seleta said...

I learned a lot about Jae here. What an interesting idea for a self portrait. Bravo!!!

nelya said...

What a wonderfully creative endeavor. I really love your choices, Jae. But after reading the added descriptions, I loved them even more! The stone urns especially caught my fancy, beautiful.