Thursday, June 19, 2008
Good morning! I haven't done an interview in a long while! A few days ago I contacted the amazing artist behind the shop Accessoire to see if she would be interested in doing an interview. Her artwork is so beautiful and well made. I have her Lilith hair clip and it is GORGEOUS! So, sit back and soak up some of the life of Accessoire:
01. tell us a bit about yourself; name, location, affiliations, personal stuff:
My name is Nicole and I live just south of Indianapolis, Indiana.
I'm wife to a wonderful husband of 18 years and we have a 15 year old daughter, Maegan.
02. if you could describe yourself with any three words, what would they be?
dedicated, compulsive, compassionate
03. what first made you want to become an artist?
Being creative makes me whole, without art I don't think I could exist as an entire person.
04. how did you make that transition into selling your creations?
I had to fund my addictions somehow lol. That and the fact that my friends wouldnt take my items without paying for them, so I had to start selling.
05. where do you get your inspiration?
Art begets art. (julia: I love this sentiment!) Poems, music, paintings, nature, you name it, I can find art in it!
06. apart from creating things, what do you do?
I take part in a lot of volunteer work, I love photography and I love movies!
07. what are your top five books, movies, songs/musical groups, and blogs?
Faerie Tale by Raymond Fiest
Shaun of the Dead
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
House of Sand and Fog
songs and artists:
November Rain/Guns and Roses
anything by Tool, A Perfect Circle, Seether, Breaking Benjamin
08. if you could learn to work with any medium that you don't currently work with, which would it be?
definitely oil paint
09. what is your favorite handmade item that you have purchased?
a gorgeous pair of earrings of sterling silver and these light blue stones from an etsian
10. what is your favorite item that you have created?
I think I'd have to choose lillith, my beaded red flower brooch I use in my etsy banner.
11. what undiscovered artists would you recommend to the world?
Here are some etsians I love:
12. in ten years I'd like to be...
Living in the mountains of Colorado, growing my own botanicals for Etsy soap shop, Balsam and filling Accessoire with lovely, interesting things!
13. what is the best advice you have ever received?
My grandmother always said "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar." She thought showing kindness and thoughtfulness was evidence of great strength.